Since its dedication concert on October 30, 1970, the Edward M. Pickman Concert Hall has been the heart center of Longy's musical life. Architects Huygens & Tappé won the prestigious Progressive Architecture Design Award in 1966 for their innovative addition that provided the growing school with both a performance venue and a library, whose books and shelves acted as acoustical reflectors.

Lawyer, historian, and amateur pianist Edward M. Pickman served as President of the Board of trustees from 1955-1959 and was reported to have attended every board meeting from 1930 until his death. The concert hall was named in memory of Mr. Pickman's devoted service and his extraordinary generosity to the Longy School of Music.

Although the library was moved to its own wing, the Sandra and David Bakalar Library, in the early 1990's, one aspect of Pickman Concert Hall has remained unchanged: it is still considered to be one of New England's finest small concert venues. Favored for its honest acoustic, the birch paneled 300-seat auditorium provides an intimate concert setting, especially well suited for chamber music. Pickman Concert Hall hosts over 250 musical events each season, including concerts and master classes featuring Longy students, faculty, and guest artists, as well presentations by local artists and performance organizations.

Longy School of Music, 27 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

Pickman Concert Hall is located at the corner of Garden and Follen Streets, where Garden and Concord Avenue fork. It is air conditioned and fully accessible. It is a ten-minute walk from Harvard Square. Discounted parking is available at the University Place Garage across from the Charles Hotel at the corner of University and Bennett Streets. (Please note this garage is separate from the Hotel garage.) On weekend it's a $8 flat rate for the day.